Deodorizing and Desolventize Edible Oils And Oleochemicals
Problem: Desolventizing and stripping organic solvents to very low (50 PPM or less) residual levels from concentrated vegetable oils containing emulsifying agents, such as lecithin. Typically, these separations are carried out in wiped film evaporators (WFE’s), or packed columns. However, WFE’s are single stage devices with limited mass transfer capability, requiring multiple passes; whereas, packed columns offer excellent mass transfer, but can not handle the
Solution: Use Artisan’s unique falling film disc and tube Evaporator/Stripper™, preceded by a rising film evaporator to remove the bulk of the solvent and strip the oil to low PPM residual level by using either stripping steam, nitrogen, or both depending on the desired moisture content of the final product. Stripping is carried out at moderate vacuum and relatively low temperature, resulting in higher product yield and quality at reduced capital and operating cost. The Evaporator/Stripper offers the following advantages:
Compared to packed columns:
- handle higher viscosity (5,000cP)
- lower pressure drop (0.05 Torr/stage)
- shorter residence time (<2 min.)
- handles solids, emulsions & suspensions
- less prone to fouling
- easier to clean
Compared to WFE’s:
- no moving parts
- single pass operation
- higher yield
- lower residual solvent
- lower capital & operating cost
- Steam strip hexane from vegetable oil containing Lecithin from 80% to 2 PPM without product degradation.
- Remove Methyl Ester from crude Coconut oil from 50% to less than 1%.
- Dehydrate crude Vanillin from 20% to less than 50 PPM.
- Remove hexane from Marigold oleoresin from 10% to 25 PPM
- Strip cholesterol to less than 100 PPM from butter fat and lard.
- Deodorize cocoa butter by steam stripping the low molecular weight free fatty acids to non-detectable levels. Deodorization is accomplished at 10 torr, and relatively low temperatures (below 150°C) to prevent intra-esterification, while utilizing an economically favorable 3% stripping steam rate.
- Strip Cholesterol From Butter Fat And Lard
- Remove Solvents From Oleoresins
- Dehydrate Crude Vanillin
- Remove Methyl Ester From Crude Coconut Oil
- Steam Strip Hexane From Vegetable Oil Containing Lecithin